Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Portsmouth Day: Gosport Tavern & Appalachian Art


 One of the happy things to come out of working in a museum is that I have more desire than ever to be a tourist in my own area. On Sunday, Sean and I trekked out to Portsmouth to view an exhibit on Appalachian art at the Portsmouth Cultural Art Center. I grew up in Appalachia, so it's always fascinating to see how it's interpreted anywhere outside the region.

After finding our first choice restaurant was closed on Sunday, we decided to try Gosport Tavern, which ended up being a great choice! I had The Effingham, a sandwich of Virginia ham, green apples, brie and ale mustard. Every bite was delicious.

Sean, who is a bit of a burger connoisseur, was very impressed with his burger made with a mix of ground beef, chuck and short rib on a pretzel bun. 

 The cocktail menu is no joke either! I can't wait to go back and try the Champria!

 The Appalachian art exhibit explored both traditional folk craft and modern fine art, and where the two meet. I especially was intrigued by this quilted wall hanging by Murray Johnston.

And I liked this vibrant rooster and especially loved the rough-hewn framing, by Charlie Tysver. The show certainly made me proud of where I'm from, and of the tradition of arts and crafts that is so much a part of living there. 

No comments: